December 27, 2003
POTD updated, happy holidays to all
I've updated Picture Of The Day for the first time in a month. I think my New Year's resolution will be to stay on top of that thing. And take pictures on more than 51% of the days! I'm excited to get started on POTD 2004, and I have a slightly updated layout ready.
Off to Yasir's place tonight for a little fun.Posted at December 27, 2003 01:38 PM, Categories: Beardcore
December 22, 2003
Everything goes wrong yet right
I've never experienced a day like yesterday, when things went so wrong and right at the same time. Cindy had a bit of a medical emergency the day before (but everything is fine!) and I offered to accompany her to the follow up appointment. Along the way she was starving but we couldn't find any suitable food, we were rear ended (no injuries, but a ding on the hood that bent up the corner), we spent four hours at the appointment, the nurse screwed something up, and she missed her dinner plans with an old friend. Despite all of this, we had a wonderful time together. It's not the kind of day I hope to repeat, but that it should end up feeling so positive is, well...something.Posted at December 22, 2003 10:47 AM, Categories: Beardcore
December 16, 2003
More than a fortnight
Two weeks and one day without a cigarette. Last night at the bar I apparently looked visibly purturbed..I wanted a cigarette, but it was still easy to resist.
I finally put up the Lithuania photos. I feel like I've been very productive lately, but it has mostly involved editing old photos and putting them online. It's time to get out there to take some new ones.Posted at December 16, 2003 01:14 PM, Categories: Beardcore
December 10, 2003
Quantifying my skills
I just signed up for the Illinois Skills Match Workforce Development System, a required part of collecting unemployment. My skills, all of them that I have found so far, are below. Prepare to be amazed that I'm not fully qualified for anything..at least according to their system.
Drivers Licenses and Endorsements
- Normal (class d) drivers license.
- Use AppleWorks
- Use desktop publishing
- Use Excel software
- Use graphics software programs
- Use internet to locate information
- Use Microsoft Office software
- Use Microsoft PowerPoint software
- Use Microsoft Word software
- Use MS Works software
- Use spreadsheet PC software
- Use word processing software
- Use Windows
- Use Microsoft Outlook
- Use Quicken software
- Use personal computer
- Typing speed
- Pounds able to Lift
- Hours Able to Stand or Walk
- Determine specifications
- Review technical writing
- Review, revise written materials
- Use Framemaker
- Write equipment manuals
- Write operating procedures r maintenance instructions for users
- Write software manuals
- Write technical manuals
- Operate audio or visual equipment
- Operate cameras
- Set up cameras
- Set up video taping equipment
- View, evaluate, film or video tape
- Operate taping and filming equipment
- Adjust equipment or controls
- Monitor signals
- Operate sound mixing board
- Record sessions
- Regulate volume, or sound quality
- Review or edit recordings
- Set up or operate sound equipment
- Set up, adjust, maintain or test recording equipment
- Keep logs
- Obtain, review tapes and records
- Synchronize sound with pictures
- Develop operational, maintenance, or testing procedures
- Analyze system requirements, capacity, cost and develop system plan
- Design electronic components, products, or systems
- Evaluate operational systems
- Implement research methodology, and procedures to engineering projects
- Provide technical assistance to field and laboratory staff
- Understand transistor operation
- Design embedded micro controller circuitry
- Photograph in color or black and white
- Set up and operate equipment
- Take measurements
- Photograph subjects
- Photograph children
- Photograph family portraits
- Photograph news events
- Design and plan buildings
- Operate Computer Assisted Design (CAD) software
- Collect, identify or analyze data
- Design electrical instruments, equipment, products, or systems
- Confer with engineers, or customers on projects or products
- Direct or coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, or testing
- Investigate customer complaints
- Compile data and write reports for engineering studies or projects
- Plan or implement research procedures for engineering projects
- Read books
- Recommend deletions
- Edit motion picture film, tape, video or soundtrack
- Read screenplays
- Read scripts
December 09, 2003
The new whatever..
Part of my recent changes (leaving my job, quitting smoking, etc) included a determination to not let opportunities pass me by anymore. More honesty, more action, more joy, more pain, fewer regrets. And it's working.Posted at December 9, 2003 10:44 AM, Categories: Beardcore
December 08, 2003
Aislers Set photo..
Whoo hoo! More validation from people I don't know! =)
It's been one week without a cigarette. The urges are still strong, but they're few and far between. This feels great.Posted at December 8, 2003 10:44 AM, Categories: Beardcore
December 06, 2003
My first pinhole photo!
December 04, 2003
Video killed the...oh nevermind..
Everybody has a video these days.. I remember being thrilled to see a Bob Mould video back in the day, but it's getting so I'll be disappointed if someone hasn't got a goofy video of their own.Posted at December 4, 2003 09:06 AM, Categories: Beardcore
To the moon, Geedub?
If anyone besides GWB was going to announce a return to the moon, I would be thrilled. But if he says this, I feel like there's something dirty about it. We may never have the money to spare for a return trip to the moon, but in the midst of the current spending I feel like it's especially foolish, and probably designed to fulfill a few different purposes: reelection, keeping China in its place, drilling for oil on the moon.
This day is the fourth without a cigarette. I keep expecting it to get harder, but it hasn't yet. Knock on wood..Posted at December 4, 2003 08:34 AM, Categories: Beardcore
December 03, 2003
It took me this long to notice that Saturday Looks Good To Me's song Everyday uses a sample of the intro to The Ronettes' Baby I Love You. You should check out both.
Still haven't done those Lithuania photos.. tomorrow. Along with everything else.
Today my stop smoking issues have changed from constant hunger to no appetite and a headache. It's still easier than I expected it to be.Posted at December 3, 2003 10:17 PM, Categories: Beardcore
December 02, 2003
Today I finally updated Picture of the Day with a couple of months' worth of photos. Every one a gem.
I also uploaded all of the artsy photos from my most recent road trip. I'm hoping to put a page with stories, statistics (I know you're dying to know what mileage I got!), and additional photos. Percentage of photos on this page compared to the total number of photos taken? 4.5%
While rollerblading this afternoon I noticed a few things:
1. There are a lot more people out and about during the day than I expected. Who are these people?
2. Even more shocking was the number of people sitting in their cars, parked outside some building with the engine idling. The only conclusion I can draw is that they are waiting for someone inside..meaning there are still more people out and about than I'm seeing. And in pairs..who's earning the dough?
3. I'm highly suspicious of anyone doing anything during the middle of the day. Person sitting in their car? Suspicious. Someone in the alley with a wheelbarrow? Suspicious. Guy rollerblading around town looking at everyone? Suspicious.Posted at December 2, 2003 04:16 PM, Categories: Beardcore
Thirty one hours
It's been more than 31 hours since my last cigarette. So far it hasn't been too hard: no nicotine withdrawel issues, no crisis moments, no hardcore cravings. Instead, the following dialog plays in my head about every 10 minutes:
Subconscious: "I have a great idea: a cigarette!"
Conscious: "Damn, that sounds like a great idea."
Conscious: "Shit, I quit."
Subconscious: "But you would like one, right?"
Conscious: "Yes. But I quit."
December 01, 2003
Mates Of State put some of my photos up but never bothered to write back telling me so, or thanking me! I wasn't very happy with the photos, but they kind of stand out from the others taken on this tour...except for these! Damn they're nice..Posted at December 1, 2003 01:03 PM, Categories: Beardcore
And so it begins..
It's been a whopping.. 10 hours since my last cigarette? And I was sleeping for most of that. I've been awake for two hours and I'm already running short of productive ways to fill my time.. I've separated some old recyclables into bags, caught up on the Strong Bad Emails, and uploaded a new Friendster photo (as a temporary measure until I can come up with a new theme). It's going to be a long day.
From a pack of cigarettes I bought last time I was in England, the warning labels. One for the ladies:
And one for the gents: